Greece is one of those countries that people from all over the world flock to each year. The country’s history, cuisine, immersive nature, nightlife, and beautiful beaches make it the ideal place to explore and should be at the top of your to-do list when planning a trip. Here’s a look at some of the unique things you can do while in Greece:
See Archeological Sites
Travel anywhere in Greece and you are bound to find an amazing historical site that can transport you to the past and let you get up close and personal with a part of history. Here’s a look at some of the places you can visit:
- Sparta – Explorers can travel to Sparta to see where the rivals of Athens cultivated their warrior culture.
- Delphi – The ancient ruins at Delphi allow travelers to get a sense of what the main place of worship for Apollo was like in its prime.
- Olympia – This archaeological site attracts thousands of historians each year with its rich past. The Olympic games originated here, and Olympia once housed one of the Seven Wonders of the Ancient World: a 12-meter statue of Zeus.
Wineries all over Greece open their doors to tourists to show them how they make one of the country’s most popular drinks. Here are some of the top places for tasting wine in Greece:
- Thessaloniki – Domaine Ligas in Thessaloniki has been known forever as “the mother of wine, where vines abound”. The estate practices natural growth which helps them successfully produce a variety of wines like Kydonitsa, Assyrtiko, Limniona, and many more.
- Mykonos – Travelers can listen to the classical music that flows through the vines of the Mykonos Vioma Organic Farm in order to help cultivate a wide range of grapes. The winery Domaine Skouras in Malandreni displays beautiful vines growing on sloping hills that produce both everyday wines and innovative combination wines.
- Santorini – There are also some memorable wineries in Santorini, such as Venetsanos Winery and Domaine Sigalas. The unique soil on the island provides interesting growing conditions for the grapes.
With friendly locals, beautiful villages, and history at every turn, Greece is an ideal hiking destination. Here’s a look at some hikes you should consider:
- Mount Olympus – Hikers can feel connected to mythology by climbing the home of the Ancient Greek Gods that is Mount Olympus which has mountainsides, gorges, and pine forests that supply a hike full of stunning sights.
- Santorini, Caldera Trail – The Caldera Trail in Santorini brings hikers between the charming villages of Fira and Oia which provides spectacular views of the water-filled caldera on this volcanic island.
- Samaria Gorge – While on Crete, you might consider hiking the Samaria Gorge, which is the longest Gorge in Europe.
Enjoy the Beach
Greece has largest coastline in Europe, and there are plenty of stunning beaches there that help give Greece it’s reputation as one of the best vacation destinations in the world.
- Kolymbithres, Paros has dramatic granite rock, family taverns, and beautiful sandy slopes without the large tourist crowds, making it a hidden gem of Greece.
- Elafonisi, Crete is a picture-perfect nature reserve attached to the mainland by a strip of pink sand which creates a lagoon of warm turquoise water.
- Voidokilia, Peloponnese is a beach that pleases all types of travelers with 13th-century castle ruins for history buffs, a birdlife reserve for nature lovers, and a beautiful bay for those that love to lounge by the water.
Experience the Nightlife
With so many different islands, Greece has numerous options for a vibrant nightlife to fit any traveler’s desires.
- Athens is filled with hip bars and open-air clubs that provide plenty of space to dance to both live Greek bands and popular DJ hits.
- Mykonos nightlife brings elegant bars and clubs that the European elite frequent and beach bars where the party continues the next day.
- Thessaloniki is filled with a youthful energy that powers the clubs and music venues which often take place in renovated industrial warehouses.
While in Greece, you should consider trying some of these interesting activities!