Greece is a popular destination thatoffers travelers a host of activities. From beaches to island hopping to restaurants to day cruises to nightlight to scenic vistas, tourists visiting Greece for the first time or for the tenth will always have fun building sensational memories. For the best experience possible, there are a few activities you should absolutely take advantage of.
Visit the Acropolis in Athens
Perhaps the most famous ruins in the world, the Acropolis is a collection of temples in what used to be an ancient fortress. Here’s a look at some things you can do:
- Temple of Nike is the smallest of the temple remains, dedicated to goddess Athena.
- Erechtheion is the northernmost temple, dedicated to Athena and Poseidon. It is the most intact of the Acropolis temples.
- Parthenon is the most famous temple, which was dedicated to Athena. It is a highly decorated structure, containing over 360 sculpted humans along with a variety of creatures and Gods. Friezes covering the north side of the temple show battles between the Greeks and the Amazons while the south side depicts the battle against the Trojans.
Spend time at the beach
Although Greece has as even more beaches as does ancient ruins, these five destinations are ones that shouldn’t be missed.
- Myrtos Beach is the most famous beach in Greece. It offers scenic cliffs, and the
offshore sudden drop-offs create marvelous blue water. As a populardestination, it is often represented in travel brochures and is ranked among the very best beaches in the world.
- Super Paradise Beach is a true paradise for nightlife and daytime parties. Super Paradise has crystal blue waters and for long says, the surrounding area offers a variety of modern luxury hotels and studio apartments.
- Valtos is the largest beach in Greece. It offers hiking, boating, and a host of taverns and restaurants nearby, but the most unique photo opportunity is the adjacent castle of Parga.
- Simos rests on the island of Elafonissos. It offers clear waters and lush, soft sand. There are absolutely no taverns, studios, or other modern conveniences because the goal behind it has been to preserve it in a natural, original, and very private state.
- Navagio is off the island of Zante island. Navagio is the home of a 19th century shipwreck, visible off the coast, and the name “Navagio” means “shipwreck bay.”
Athens One-Day Island Cruise
For those with limited itinerary, a one-day island cruise allows a comprehensive cruise to the islands of Hydra, Poros, and Aegina. The cruise allows visitors the opportunity to disembarkand time to explore, relax, shop, or swim. To make the trip easy as well as pleasant, the cruise offers on-board lunches as well as pickup and drop-off to nearby hotels.
Take a Cruise of the Islands
Cruising the islands occurs over the span of four fantastic days where tourists can enjoy at length Greece’s major islands. Typically, the cruises include Mykonos, known for being a party island;Patmos, which has gorgeous beaches and ties to Saint John, the apostle who wrote the Book of Revelations in the Bible;Rhodes, an island that has a medieval influence; Crete, a large island with great weather and gorgeous beaches, and Santorini, which is known for its beautiful scenery and sunsets. There are several cruse carriers that hit these islands so you should take the time to search for the cruise that best meets your needs.
Eat Traditional Greek Food
Visiting Greece absolutely requires a sampling of native cuisine. Here are some foods you should consider trying while in Greece:
- Amygdalota is a gluten-free cookie highlighted with almonds. This is a must when drinking Ellinikos, a native Greek coffee.
- Keftethes are Greek style meatballs that are typically spiced with garlic, onions, oregano, and mint.
- Greek coffee is made in a long-handled copper pot and served in small cups. It is served strong with a honey flavor, medium sweetness, or weaker with no sugar. Expect that the grounds will settle onto the bottom of the cup while drinking it!
- Feta Me Meli is one of the only foods that is considered both an entrée and a desert. It consists of feta wrapped in a pastry and drizzled in honey.
- Gyros are the famous hand-held wrap, and this list would not be complete without mentioning gyros. These sandwiches are typically made with traditional gyro meat, tzatziki, onions, tomatoes, and sometimes other ingredients, such as fries. The ingredients are wrapped in a Greek-style pita bread.
Though planning the perfect itinerary for your first trip to Greece can be challenging, this article should give you a great start!